Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Secret Weapon Salad

So I have to admit... I thought about not posting the recipe for this salad just because it is SO good that it's my secret weapon. Going to a dinner party and assigned to take a salad? Taking dinner to a new mother in church? I take my secret weapon salad :) Here is the recipe so you too can have a secret weapon salad!

· 3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
· 1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
· 6 oz Craisins
· 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
· 1/4 cup white sugar or Splenda
· 2 teaspoons minced onion
· 1/4 teaspoon paprika
· 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
· 1/4 cup cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil, olive oil, or a mixture of both
* 1 container of blue cheese

Place the sesame seeds and almonds on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to toast them.

Toss the spinach with the almonds and Craisins.

Mix sesame seeds, sugar/Splenda, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and oil in a small bowl (I use tupperware with a lid so I can just shake it before I put in on the spinach). Refigerate for an hour or longer. You can actually use it right away, but if you put it in the fridge all the flavors meld together so well!

Just before you serve the salad, toss the dressing in. Then top with blue cheese. As a different option, you can also take out the blue cheese and put a can of mandrin oranges in instead.
Yum! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

DeGooyer Family said...

Mmmm - this looks REALL good! I'll have to try it this weekend.