Saturday, March 15, 2008

An Early Easter

Since Aaron had to leave today for Manila (yet again) and won't be back until sometime in the middle of April, we decided to have a mini-Easter celebration early so Daddy could be there. In the morning we did Sophie's Easter basket - she got a Little People Airport set (how fitting since that's where Daddy spends so much time) and an Aqua Doodle Elmo mat. She was really excited about them :)

Then after nap we changed into old play clothes and died Easter eggs. That was fun! Sophie did much better than I anticipated. She drew on the eggs with the crayons, put them in the dye and also pulled them out - all by herself (or with some help in the beginning).

After that, while the boiled eggs where drying, we set up an indoor Easter egg hunt since it was raining outside and WAY to cold for mommy! Daddy sat down with Sophie before hand with one egg and explained it, showed her the egg, and then the two of them hid the egg together. Then he took her into the other room while I hid eggs. She was SO excited to hunt the eggs and really "got" the concept. Here's a cute video of the beginning of Easter egg hunting.

Although Daddy will be gone next week for our official Easter, I'm still planning on taking Sophie to a local egg hunt here in town. Yesterday was a good warm up for her though :) I'm sure that Grandma and Grandpa and maybe great-Grandma will come with us and help us tote all of the eggs home! (And of course, take pictures and video for Daddy!)

Well, if my video wasn't taking forever to load, I would probably just hit 'publish' and be done with blogging tonight... but it's not, so here I am still typing. Maybe now is a good time to reflect...
It's amazing what a year brings. It's AMAZING how much Sophie has grown since last Easter. I imagine it's hard to understand unless you're a parent yourself, but it's amazing to see this little person develop, learn, and grow. Sometimes it's frustrating as all get-out, but the majority of the time it's sorta awe-inspiring. Yeah, I know I sound corny. But hey, I'm allowed. It's my blog. Parenting really is the most important job that you can do. Literally you are shaping this little person/people into who they will be forever. If that doesn't fill you with amazement, a great sense of responsibility, love, and a little bit of fear - I don't know what will. Sure, they make their own choices as they get older and could possibility change from the person that they were raised to be, but your/mine influence as a parent is amazing. I think I need to find a thesaurus and look up 'amazing.' - - - here ya go:awesome, fascinating, incredible, marvelous, prodigious, shocking, stunning, surprising, unbelievable, wonderful - - - yeah, all of those things too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the CUTEST video! I can't wait to see if Abby "gets" the idea of hunting eggs. Our girls are growing up!! :o(

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic video! I can't believe how big she's gotten since the last time I saw her, when she could hardly sit still in the restaurant, and I almost made her bonk her head! :)