Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Making new recipes

Ugh - don't you get bored eating all the same stuff all the time? I know that I do. I like to fancy myself as a pretty good cook, but I certainly can get stuck in a rut... especially when you're worrying about kids and cleaning and drs appointments and whatnot all the time. Also, I run out of fast things to make that are still good and good for you. SO I made up a couple recently and decided I'd pass them onto you, if you want them.

The first is Taco Salad. Of course everyone's had taco salad. It's not like I made it up or anything, pretty much I just figured out how to make our own taco bowls.

1 lb hamburger
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 small cans of chopped green chilies
fresh, crisp, chopped lettuce (iceburg works best but has the lowest amount of nutrients too, so pick your posion)
tomatoes, chopped
sour cream
guacamole
tortillas

Brown hamburger. Mix in taco seasoning and water (follow package directions) and green chilies.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 450. Take your tortillas (I used low-carb tortillas and they worked great) and find a little metal bowl they can be draped over. I used my "ball" cake pan - two sides to a ball and I did two tortillas at a time and it was perfect. Any oven safe metal bowl will work, or you can drape it over an empty food can w/aluminum foil over top.
Spray tortilla on both sides with some spray cooking oil (think Pam) and drape over bowl.
Bake for 6-8 mins. Take out, take off bowls, bake upright for another 2-4 mins until they're nice and crisp and lightly browned.

Then just assemble your taco salad how you'd like! :)


The next is a spinach and feta cheese omelet.

4 eggs
3 tbs feta cheese
1 tbs milk
baby spinach, washed & dried
a dash of pepper
butter, oil, or spray oil for your pan

Put spray oil (or butter or reg. oil) in pan and heat over med heat. I have an omelet pan that I use (SOOO handy) but you can use a reg. skillet.

Mix eggs together and put in pan. Add a dash of pepper and let the eggs start to cook on the bottom.

Mix feta cheese and milk together, crushing all the feta lumps as much as possible. Put into eggs. Layer baby spinach leaves on top (put as much or as little as you like) and cook. With the omelet pan I normally close it at this point (sandwich it together) and cook until eggs are cooked through. Be careful not to cook too long (the butter/oil will burn and the feta will overcook and taste wierd.)
You don't need any salt added b/c the feta is naturally salty. And this is a great beginning recipe to add whatever veggies you like - bell peppers, onions, etc. However, I like it plain and simple b/c of the unique taste of the feta.

Let me know if you try them! I thought Sophie would hate the omelet, but in fact she eats half of mine every time I make it. She loves it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try the tortilla bowls, that sounds fun. I wish I could eat feta cheese, but it's just a little too strong for me. Maybe I'll try it with something else. Keep up the recipes, I need them! :)

DeGooyer Family said...

Ohh, these sound yummy!! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I just love to try new recipes... These are nice!!