Monday, November 26, 2007

Steadfast & Immovable - Help Me!!!!

For those of you who don't know - I'm a young women's leader at our church. Our new theme this year comes from (Mosiah 5:15) which says, "Be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works."

I'm the one in charge of what we call "New Beginnings" this year. Basically, it's a night where we welcome the new young women and present the new theme. No big deal, right? But you guys know me... when asked to bake cupcakes, I take fully decorated ones. I'm a glutton for punishment maybe, but I like to call it being a perfectionist. (Man, I wish that part of perfection would visit my kitchen for a day!) So, I'm looking for what jumps into your head and is Steadfast and Immovable. I have some great ideas relating to the stars curtosy of JennyPhillips.com but just thought I'd see what else you guys thought.

For anyone that is familiar with the Book of Mormon, Mosiah 5:15 is during the King Benjamin address - which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. How possible do you think it would be to kinda re-make King Benjamin's address for our New Beginnings? We could have each family set up a tent in the cultural hall and get a really charismatic speaker to read King Benjamin's address (or parts of it). I'm not sure where I'm going with this... I'm brainstorming as I'm blogging - a dangerous combination? Maybe we could continue the 'camping' part of King Benjamin's address into a whole blown out theme for the night. We could make smores at the end... mmmm, smores. Hmmm, I'll have to think more about this idea. Right now I have no idea how I'd tie the rest of it (the Personal Progress, theme, etc) into the camping bit. Ideas?

Ok, this is the part where you email me or leave a comment and let me know what you're thinking. I'm in serious need of help! What besides the stars is steadfast and immovable? (and hopefully a way that we could tie in good works too) What about the camping idea? HELP!!

8 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

I'll think about it and get back to you. Sounds like a FUN night!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm posting and I don't even know you! I found your site looking for New Beginnings ideas, since I'm in charge of ours as well.

I'm intrigued about your tent idea with the s'mores. I wonder how you would make them if open flames are not allowed on church grounds.
I've seen a recipe that's kinda like rice krispie treats, but it has Golden Grahams, whole mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips, basically s'more squares.

Regarding King Benjamin's address, "and they could not all hear his words because of the greatness of the multitude; therefore he caused that the words which he spake should be written and sent forth among those that were not under the sound of his voice, that they might also receive his words" It would be kinda fun to have runners come and pass out library copies of the scriptures, marked in the correct spot to follow along as someone reads without the microphone.

Good luck, you sound like a creative person, I'm sure it will be awesome whatever you do.

Anonymous said...

A couple more things I just thought of:

Things in nature/camping could represent the value colors in some kind of skit/slideshow presentation.
White Stars - Faith, following the stars as a guide in the dark
Blue Sky - Divine Nature, the sky reminds us of our heavenly origin
Red Flowers? - Individual worth, there are all different kinds of flowers, each is unique and beautiful
Green Tree - Knowledge, reaching and growing like a tree, line upon line, precept upon precept.
Orange Campfire - Choice and Accountability, playing with fire yields consequences, but fire can also be used wisely
Yellow Sun - Good Works, letting your light shine like the sun, warming and cheering other people
Purple ? - I'm sure you can come up with something purple in nature that ties in with integrity. I can't think of anything! LOL

Anonymous said...

Aha, purple mountains! (Which are also steadfast and immovable.)

Shabwan said...

Sister Troxel...YWP....First of all...this is an amazing idea! So many possibilites for Girl's camp! I found your page doing a google "Steadfast and Immovable" search! Have you had your New Beginnings? Did it go well? What else did you do? I would love swap ideas with you...Shaunna

TroxelTribe said...

Shabwan...
I'm so glad you 'stopped by!' I would be happen to talk about NB with you, but you don't have a blog and when I try to email you from your blogger profile, it doesn't work b/c Outlook is not set up on my computer and it doesn't show me your email address. Please either leave a comment with your email address in it or email me at: loritroxel@yahoo.com
Thanks! Good Luck!

TroxelTribe said...

Shabwan...
I'm so glad you 'stopped by!' I would be happen to talk about NB with you, but you don't have a blog and when I try to email you from your blogger profile, it doesn't work b/c Outlook is not set up on my computer and it doesn't show me your email address. Please either leave a comment with your email address in it or email me at: loritroxel@yahoo.com
Thanks! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi, the young women leader in my ward used the theme of an oak tree for the steadfast, immoveable theme for our New Beginnings. She asked me to write a song for it that is now being used in several other places. Let me know if you want it. There is a rough version of it on my family website: familymann.org. I am almost done with the sheet music that will also be posted there soon.

Thanks,
Hillary