Thursday, February 21, 2008

A few Pics to start off with

This is outside of St. Gile's Cathedral. I was amazed at the artitechure, the windows, and especially the ornate carvings. But I have to say that Aaron thought it was 9 times cooler than I did. He had a hard time containing his excitement :)
Another thing to note is that there were a few stained glass windows depicting various parts of Christ's life, but an awful lot of the decorations and ornate stuff was of Scottish royalty. I wasn't expecting there to be quite as much 'political' if you will, stuff. It definitely shows the close relationship they had between royalty and religion.

Part of the Royal Mile at night, plus some fog. The fog makes it COLD, but so beautiful as well. The Royal Mile goes from Edinburgh Castle at the top, to the Holyrood Palace at the bottom. I'll post pics of the Edinburgh Castle as soon as Aaron gets home (he's in Manila again) b/c I loaded them onto his laptop to relieve my SD card.

This is the Holyrood Palace. It's where the Queen stays when she's in Scotland.
We toured it and I quite dissapointed that you can't take pictures inside of the palace. I understand why - perserving the antique linens, pictures, etc. but that doesn't mean that I still wasn't sad about it.

My mom and Sophie in front of a pretty amazing fountain at the Palace of Holyrood. I wish that we could have seen it actually going. That is part of the palace grounds in the back, but not the actual palace.

Here's Sophie and I in the entry way into the main Palace, I guess you could say. Through this entry way is a small grass/garden area and then it's surrounded by the castle on all four sides.

2 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

All of these photos are GREAT!! Looks like SUCH a fun trip - I'm so glad you all went together! And it sounds like Sophie did well, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!! It looks like you guys had an awesome time! We are hoping to go on a little trip this summer...not Scotland of course. lol Can't wait to read more of your stories!