Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Graveyards

Call me morbid, but I like to go to old, old cemetries and look at the headstones. It's something that I wish we would have done while we were in New Orleans before we moved, but these are much older anyway, I imagine.



This one dates to 1777 and then they added more in 1797.

As you can see on this one, whole families are entombed in the same place (and not very big areas either). If I remember correctly, this one had the parents and children who didn't survive very long (one an infant, one pre-school age). It also had the suriving children (sons? I can't remember) and they're spouses.

I thought this was interesting. There was no headstone for this girl "Clarinda" but just this gorgeous plaque.

And finally, we walk the horrendous steps into this second graveyard, only to see....


Yeah, you're right. That's Abe Lincoln. I thought it was funny that I go all the way to Scotland and see a statue of Abe Lincoln. Not was I expected.
Anyway, this is a newer monument to the fallen Scottish-American soldiers who fought for Emancipation.

No comments: