Monday, October 13, 2008

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

To preface this post, I'll say that nursing doesn't go so well here. I mean, it goes well if the goal is to put the baby to sleep. I have valium boobs or something that causes the baby to fall asleep within five minutes of starting to nurse. So, instead of nurse, wake baby, nurse, wake baby, nurse, etc. etc. etc. I've started pumping breastmilk and then giving it to her in a bottle. The pumping session is quicker normally, she will stay awake to actually eat, and I know how much she's getting. Warning: If the topic of pumping or breastfeeding makes you feel uncomfortable - time to stop reading.

It seems that this is my daily routine:
Pump, feed/change baby, play with Sophie, try to get the dishes done, pump, feed/change baby, play with Sophie, try to get the dishes done, pump, feed/change baby, play, dishes, etc. etc. etc.

This is all I do. Well, with feeding Sophie somewhere added in.

Notice that there isn't any laundry getting done here. Or cleaning. Or exercising. Or fun fall excursions.

Notice that I am too scared to take both girls to the grocery store to get groceries. (Going with just Sophie is most of the time an exercise in the distract-toddler-with-snacks technique.) I'm a little ashamed to say that I haven't taken them anywhere by myself yet, except to my parents' house, which doesn't count.

I guess there are two reasons why I haven't gone anywhere with them yet. First off, I'm worried about handling both of them, especially in the oh-so-exciting grocery store. Secondly, I feel strapped to the pump which is then connected to the wall. Again, breastfeeding is not going so well. When we do breastfeed, she's asleep fairly quickly (which means she's not getting what she needs and then will be awake and want to eat again in 20 mins). But more than that for public is the fact that it *hurts!* She flattens my nipple when breastfeeding, and um, well, that really smarts. It should remain round, not pancake-ish. Ow. Double ow.

SOOOOO... I end up staying home. And I pump, feed, and repeat (with some dishes and Sophie added in). I feel like I'll never break out of this cycle. And I don't know how to go grocery shopping.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, Lori! I have my own nursing woes, so I can somewhat identify. And Zac keeps talking about wanting a second baby (I do, too) but I'm just not sure how anything would ever get done! :o/ Get grandma to keep babies and go grocery shopping by yourself - that's a nice, quiet option! lol ;o) Love ya tons...hey, if you have any good ideas to help me get Abby to bed, I'm open. You know what a perfect sleeper she's always been, but I guess the move freaked her out...I can't get her to lay down in her bed AT ALL!! Grrrr...

DeGooyer Family said...

I remember exactly how this is with two kids! We were living in Orem, UT, and I was so scared to take both kids to the story by myself for the longest time. I would go after Brett got home from work each week, until Rachel was 10 or 11 weeks old. I say, just wait until YOU are ready, and then hopefully things will go well. Oh, and start with a small list --- like 10 items or less. =)

Anonymous said...

memories and my 2nd one is only 2 months old. If breast feeding is getting frustrating don't feel bad about quiting. I had to. I got mastitice twice and my daughter took over an hour to eat. she was a nibbler. (meaning she'd rather play with the nipple than eat). Life was a lot easier after I quit.Going to the store...thayne sits in the seat and kaydee lays in the basket(in her car seat) and we get what we need that fits in the spaces. we go really fast! You just do it.
lorri and scott

Scott and Lorri said...

memories and my 2nd child is two months old. Don't feel bad about getting frustrated with breast feeding.I got maustitice twice with mine and quit.Maustitice is the worst pain ever! life is so much easier now. She took an hour to eat. she would rather play with the nipple than eat. I had no time to get anthing done and would get so frustrated. Don't feel guilty about quiting. As for going out shopping. thayne sits in the seat and kaydee in her car seat, laid across the buggy. we go fast and get what will fit in the space. you just do it. you'll figure out what works for you.

TroxelTribe said...

Yeah, I got mastitis last week and you're right - terrible pain! It also made me feel like I had the flu - a high temp, chills, pain, etc. My OB was out of the office when we finally figured out the pain and the flu was related. Luckily one of my best friend's hubby is a doctor! Thank goodness for antibiotics!

Kati said...

Dude, if I could drive I would do the groceries for you! No joke! When I am sixteen I will definately do it for you. Four months......hang in there! you can do it!

TroxelTribe said...

Ahh Kati, you're so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart for trying to get everything done, and breast feed too! I had my kids only 15 months apart, seemed like a good idea; but the execution took some tweeking. What I ended up doing was do both formula and breast milk. I'd pump what I could, but the majority of it came from a can. They both have above average IQ's, and have the greatest immune systems *2 of the 'biggest' reasons to breast feed*. Don't feel bad if you quit breast feeding or supplement, it's all about finding your balance.
P.S.
I'm not a freak that looks up blogs, I looked up "Vampire cupcakes" and yours are the best. That's how I found ya and your "Rinse, Wash, Repeat" looked funny. Hehe

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...now this one is a great introduction to the Troxel family! Don't worry I've heard it all too. Sounds like your handling things well!
I'm sure you are wondering who I am. My name is Justin Terry. I was Aaron's companion in my first area on my mission. Aaron is a great guy who I will never forget. Tell him I said hello. You have a beautiful family and I like your blog site.