Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A chipped Smile.

I wish I could have gotten a picture of it, but poor Brielle is not allowing pictures today.... or at least not since the incident. Poor girl.

I was cleaning the top of the stove and she was walking into the kitchen with her blankie. (She loves her blankie. She cuddles it when she drinks a bottle and when she sleeps. It's too adorable!) Well, she must have stepped right on it and slipped b/c she fell FLAT on her face on the floor. No falling onto her diaper-cushioned butt or her knees or anything - just SMACK! on her face. Of course I whirled around, picked her up and started to comfort her. That's when I noticed that she was bleeding from somewhere. I didn't know where exactly at first. There was a lot on her finger so I thought maybe she bit her finger or something. I yelled for Aaron (he works from home, but alas, he was in a phone meeting). Then I ran her hand under cold water, which is the only thing that helped her to stop crying since the SMACK.

Well, it was not her finger, but she did like the water. I had a hard time figuring out where she was bleeding from - I'm still not 100% sure, but I think that she busted a tiny cut on her upper lip. However, I got an ice cube and let her suck on it... however, I thought I noticed something not right in her mouth. Was there blood on her tooth? So, I leaned her over (she likes to be upside down) and checked it out. Nope, not blood. However, her bottom tooth was chipped. Ugh. I said a quick prayer and checked again. Yup, I was right the first time. I ran to get her some Tylenol thinking "wow, that must have really hurt!" And called the dentist. They called right back and had me bring her in right away.

Luckily, it didn't get down to the fleshy part of her tooth, so it's just a comestic issue really. If it would have gotten down the to fleshy part, the only option they really would have had is to pull it! I am SO grateful that was not the case! So, she'll have a chip in her tooth (which they'll try to sand and make a little smoother when she's a little older) until she grows in her adult teeth (in like 7 years!) but it shouldn't affect the placement of her other teeth or hurt her, so it's as good as a chipped tooth can be really. AND it's on the bottom, so you won't be able to see it quite as much as you would if it were on the top.

Ok, I'm not re-reading this, I'm not proofreading it. I'm not doing anything but hitting 'publish.' Please forgive me if it's a little scatterbrained. With all of us being sick, not sleeping (bad dreams, but that's an ENTIRELY different post), and a little drained from the drama around here, my brain isn't fully functioning.

I am so grateful that it wasn't worse than it is. I am so grateful that we have insurance so we can know what to do (in this case, nothing). I am so grateful that Brielle isn't in pain and is napping quietly now. I am so grateful for my beautiful little girls and my wonderful hubby. And I hope this day gets better.

1 comment:

Long Family said...

You poor thing! Let me know if you need help with anything!! Talk to you soon!