Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Growing Vocabulary

Brielle is really fussy today. Ok, she has been for the last week. I think it's this cold, plus teething. Anyway, she's been really fussing while I've been trying to get ready - ya know, showered, dressed, my hair combed, etc. Let's not kid ourselves - nothing fancy going on here. I get my pants and shirt on and promptly (not so promptly to her) pick her up, and she goes, "upppp." Ahh, the growing vocabulary of a one year old. Secretly I've been a little sad/worried b/c she hasn't been as quick as Sophie was to pick up new words. Yes, I know all kids are different, but it doesn't make the questioning stuff go away to me. "Am I talking enough to her? Reading enough? Am I spending enough time with just her instead of her and Sophie? ".... Anyway, of course I'm all happy when she says it and repeat it. To which she says, "Upp. Down." We play this game all the time - up, down; in, out; etc. I was so happy!


Unfortunately, Sophie's vocab has also grown in the last couple of weeks with the word "stupid." Uh-oh. Daddy has a tendency to say "stupid dog" or "stupid cat." Well, Sophie has said it probably 4 or 5 times lately and been sent to her room. Awesome. Hopefully it won't last long.

1 comment:

DeGooyer Family said...

I love all of your new posts! =) The word 'stupid' is a bad word in our house. We call is the 'S' word. Our kids know not to say it and now when they hear other people saying it they'll tell me about it, and say that it's not a nice word. (I wonder what they'll think when they find out what the real S word is...)