Friday, October 2, 2009

Doing a Few Things Right?

There are moments in the day or week where I think "wow, maybe we're doing something right with this parenting thing..." Of course, there are many days where I think that God is looking down laughing at my stumbles (in a loving way of course) and many more where I am disappointed in myself for not doing more or something different. BUT this is a positive post and I wanted to tell you of a couple of my "right" moments.

I am so happy that Sophie seems to be turning out as a responsible citizen who cares about doing what is right, not always what is convenient. For example, we were grocery shopping the other day and were getting some soda. Mixed in amongst the coke was a pumpkin. Sophie goes "What is this pumpkin doing here? Pumpkins don't go here. Silly pumpkin!" I said something about how someone must have decided they didn't want it after all and before I could suggest that we put it in the cart and take it back to the 'pumpkin section,' Sophie says the same thing. "We need to put it back! Come on little pumpkin! We'll take you back to your family!" Well, we were just starting grocery shopping and Sophie sat in the cart, holding the pumpkin all through shopping and when we got to the 'pumpkin section' she gingerly sets it down (thank you! I was worried about the fight of no - we cannot take the pumpkin home).

Also, last weekend we were at the parade for the Fruita Fall Fest. It was just Sophie and I as the baby was napping and Aaron gladly agreed to stay home with her. Anyway, after the parade ended, I let her eat the sucker that she got during the parade (I wouldn't let her eat it during b/c I was holding her so she could see. I am not a fan of sticky-slobbery-sugar on my shirt. I wonder why). We sat so she could eat it and she saw some trash on the sidewalk and asked what it was. I said "someone didn't put their trash where it's supposed to go." And her automatic answer is "that's not good. We need to put it up for them. You don't leave trash on the ground!"

I just wanted to hug her so tight! What a sweet little girl she is. I guess some things ARE getting through.

(This especially made me happy after seeing some of the kids during the parade. There were quite a few of them standing there, taking the wrapper off their candy and throwing it on the ground... repeatedly. It made me want to put them in timeout and take away their candy. Lucky for them, I am not their mom.)

2 comments:

Long Family said...

She is such a sweet little girl!! I got some really cute pictures of her I'm excited to show you. I'll upload them tonight or tommorow after my mom leaves and email them to you!! Thanks for coming today!! Hope you had fun!! Talk to you soon!

DeGooyer Family said...

LOVED the pumpkin story!!