Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fun at the Fair

My mom and I took Sophie and my nephew Isaiah to the County Fair today. It was fun. Sophie was able to do so much more than last year and both the kids were really good.

First, Sophie rode the ponies. Sophie LOVES to ride horses. She's so natural on them - like she's been riding since she was born. It makes me want to get one :)



Then we stopped by the only form of a petting zoo we could find... which wasn't much. I was pretty disappointed. Last year they had a great one with baby horses, cows, pigs, goats, chickens, bunnies, etc. It was awesome and I was expecting something similar this year :( Although, Isaiah loves bunnies, so at least he got to pet a couple of bunnies. He keeps telling us how when he gets older he's going to have this bunny and that bunny and a bunny that looks that this... Try convincing my sister of that... right. I kept trying to tell him that the kids that own those bunnies have to take care of them and clean up their poo. It meant nothing to him until we were at the show bunny cages and he saw one of them poop in their cage. He thought that was pretty dern gross, so I jumped at the chance to re-iterate and say "see, the owner of that bunny has to clean that up." He finally at least acknowledged my so-thought wisdom with a "that's gross."



The pigs are HUGE. Sophie was very unsure about them.

I was more excited about this part than the kids were, I think. They got to ride a camel! :) I have a picture of me and my sister on a camel when I was really young. While I really don't remember it much, I have always loved the thought that I have gotten to ride a camel! I don't know why. So, I was super excited to pass that photo-yet no recollection on to my daughter!


When we went to the zoo in Denver, surprisingly one of Sophie's favorite things were the camels... why? I don't know. But we sat and stared at the hairy butts for forever. Anyway, I thought she'd be jazzed to see one so close and ride one. As I pass my precious daughter off to the ride attendant, Sophie starts getting pretty worried. Ya know, they're a lot bigger close up than they are from 30 yards at the zoo... I was a little worried that she wouldn't go.

Then I start worrying... it's a long way to the ground. It's not like there is a seat or a belt or anything besides a bar that Sophie is responsible for hanging onto and her cousin who didn't really want to hold her.
However, as you can see, Isaiah did hold onto her and Sophie did hold on the bar and we averted falling off the camel :) They had a lot of fun, although I think for $6/person, they should have gotten to around the circle more than once!!

And, can I just add that it's the end of July and I am really pregnant and it's HOT. Boy, is it HOT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! We usually have Sherwood Fest in October and they usually have a petting zoo, so I'll have to take Abby to that...I'm such a scrooge, though, I get so irritated at parents that don't watch their kids and I have to talk myself out of getting upset. AHHH!! ;o)

Oh, how I don't miss pregnant summers! lol I told Zac we have to get pregnant soon so I can avoid all of that!

Oh, btw, Leslie hasn't updated her blog yet, but her Facebook says that Austin was born Thursday - YEA!!!!

DeGooyer Family said...

Looks like they had a ball - even though it was HOT!!