Thursday, September 18, 2008

Getting Ready

By now everyone knows that tomorrow is the day! Baby Day! (See, I told you I'd make it to Friday!)

I've been talking to Sophie about what's going to happen and how exciting it is and whatnot for awhile now, but today was the first day that we started talking about how baby Brielle will be here tomorrow and it's such a special day because you're going to be a big sister, etc. We've talked about how Mommy is going to go to the hospital (we point it out as we drive by all the time), how baby Brielle will come out of Mommy's tummy and Sophie will get to come and see her. How it's so special and how she's going to stay with Grandma for a little bit and what fun she'll have. I think that she really gets it. It amazes me what she'll say back to me. Tonight my mom and I (and Sophie) were going to do some last minute shopping at good ol' Target. We drove by the hospital and she asked "what's that?" (She does this every time. She knows, she just likes to hear my answer I think.) So, I say "it's the hospital. We'll go there tomorrow." And she says, "Go see Baby Brielle at hospital." She's such a smartie.

I got to thinking today that today was the last day that I would be a mother of one. Today was the last day that Sophie would be an only child. While I am super excited, and so is Sophie, it also was a little sad for me. Like Sophie's baby-hood is ending. Yes, I know she's two; she's not a baby anymore. But she's my baby. She still will be my baby, but our lives will definitely never be the same. I had grand plans for the day that we would spend together, our last day as just us. I so wish we would have accomplished them. But alas, it was a pretty normal day. I had things that needed to get done before tomorrow - like laundry, dishes, etc. She played happily and we did have a good day... just not an extra special day like I had planned.

Tomorrow will be a very special day indeed. Sophie will be more excited about spending the day with Grandma and seeing a real live, teeny-tiny baby (that's ours!) than she ever would have been about finishing the home made musical instruments that we were going to do today. I hope that I'm able to make her feel special all the time, even when a lot of my attention and time goes to a new little girl and Sophie has to learn to share Mommy. I hope she never feels second best (or first for that matter). I hope that she'll love the baby and not be too jealous. I hope that our girls will be friends growing up and throughout their lives.

Ok, I am getting sappy. Wait, I'm definitely already there.

We'll post pictures of our newest arrival as soon as we (probably Aaron) feels up to it. Thank you all for checking in on us and for your friendship and love. We love you and are glad that you can share this with us.

See ya tomorrow!

1 comment:

ErinMartinez said...

I totally understand how you feel! I thought the same things and while I was so happy to have a 2nd baby, I was a little sad, too. I think that's normal. Sophie will be a great big sister!

I'm super excited for you! Congrats and I am dying to see photos!

Good luck!