Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just a bad ending.

Ever have one of those days where everything is going pretty smoothly, you're excited and happy and doing good until... until whatever it is happens.

Today it was the kitchen sink. Yeah, I put some stuff down the garbage disposal that I probably shouldn't have. Aaron thought he fixed it and then later in the day the sink got clogged. Everything that I had under the sink got pulled out onto the floor, all the draino chemicals on the counter, dirty water in the sink (not to mention the plunger), tools on my previous clean counters, etc. Poor Aaron tried everything to get it unclogged. Then my dad came over and they did it all over again while I took Sophie to my young women's activity (a church activity where I'm a leader) so she wouldn't pull a pipe wrench onto her head or something.

And I was ok with all of this. I still was having a pretty good day - not the best for obvious reasons, but hey, it could have been a lot worse -right? Even when we had to eat PB&J sandwiches for dinner and the plates are stacked on the counter b/c I couldn't wash them, I was doing ok.

So, I finish my activity at church, put Sophie in the car, drive home. My dad's car isn't there, so I'm thinking that's a good sign. I walk in, Aaron is sleeping on the couch. I figure it's gotta be fixed. Wrong. There is still water in the sink (mixed with heaven knows how much Draino and Liquid Plumber); tools, dishes, chemicals, plastic bags, recycling stuff (that was draining the other sink before being put in the bag), and soggy napkins on the counter; the stool out where Sophie could now get to all aforementioned objects; and I don't want to think about how dirty my kitchen floor now is.

And then my day turned. Why I could keep my cool all day and then come home to a still-clogged sink and lose my whole composure? I don't know. It just seemed crushing. It's not fixed. I can't clean my kitchen. It's gross. And it's not going to get better for who knows how long until we can get someone to fix it. It's not even that we'll have to pay for a plumber. Well, maybe that is part of it. Maybe a part of it is pregnancy hormones too.

I think a lot of it is that Aaron and I are supposed to go out of town tomorrow for a get-away, just the two of us. Do you know that I've never spent a night away from Sophie? So, Aaron and I planned a trip - Grandma is watching Sophie while Aaron and I are supposed to go away for a relaxing trip, just us two. Now, my most pressing date is with a plumber whom we haven't called yet. Will we get to leave tomorrow? I don't know. I hope so.

Another part of it is that I feel so out of it when my kitchen is out of comission. I can't even wash my hands there. I had to go to the bathroom to wash peaches for dinner. And it's not clean. That's a major thing too. While I have been known to let clutter encroach on my kitchen (bills, books, purses, etc.) it's never really dirty. I do all the dishes after the meal, I clean the counters and stove, etc. I hate that I can't do that. I have a feeling that I won't be able to sleep tonight because of it.

And the funny thing is - that I know that it's a fairly simple thing. No one is hurt, it's fixable, etc. In the grand scheme of things, it's such a small and simple thing. Why so upsetting?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I too have had days when I kept thinking okay I can do this and then in the end it is all I can take and I want to lay down like my 4 year old and have a really good cry. I hope that things get better for ya. Oh and sorry about the recipe swap thing. It was sent by my in laws and I just sent them out.
Lots of Love
Teresa

DeGooyer Family said...

So sorry!! Hopefully you can still go on your trip - my brother, Brent, is a plumber - I can call him to come on Friday if you want - it'll probably be MUCH cheaper!! Just let me know.